Board Member, CityStudio Vancouver Society
ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION: WEDNESDAY November 10, 2021, 5:00pm
APPLICATION DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, November 17, 2021, at midnight
CityStudio is an innovation hub that brings together city staff, post-secondary students, faculty, and community to co-create experimental projects to make cities more sustainable, liveable, joyful and inclusive. It has been operating as a Canadian charity since 2017 with the purpose to advance education by:
- Coordinating and facilitating academic collaboration with municipal governments in Canada - Designing and delivering community-based experiential courses and programs for secondary and post-secondary students in Canada
- Delivering workshops, conferences, symposia and training programs for municipal staff, elected representatives and other interested persons in Canada
- Conducting, facilitating and supporting research into municipal issues and experiential learning methodologies, and making the results publicly available.
We do this work under two strategic pillars:
1) the CityStudio Global licensing service and
2) the local CityStudio Vancouver Program.
Our licensing service is a one-stop-shop for municipalities and academic institutions to work together for innovation and civic benefit. Under this program, CityStudio licenses cities across Canada and around the world to operate their own innovative programs under the CityStudio name and includes access to our trademark, training and network membership through a shared platform. There are currently 15 CityStudio - 12 in Canada, two in Australia, and one in Norway. Since 2011, 586 city staff in 15 cities have worked on 1900 projects with over 11,000 students, contributing over 232,000 hours of public sector innovation to these cities. CityStudio Global is celebrating its fifth anniversary this year.
CityStudio Vancouver is the lead member of our growing CityStudio Global Network, celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2022. Vancouver works with 4 local post secondary schools and the City of Vancouver.
Our board is a strategic oversight governing body that uses a consensus decision-making process to move the organization forward and support management. The board membership ranges from 3 to 11 members and one ex-officio from the City of Vancouver. Staff leadership attends board meetings.
CityStudio Vancouver is committed to justice, diversity and inclusion, which strengthens our ability to achieve our mission. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, abilities, and with a range of life experiences to apply. We will make every effort to accommodate needs and requests.
We welcome applications from all interested parties, with special interest in applications highlighting the following experience:
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
|● Determining the mission and purposes of the organization |
● Selecting and evaluating the performance of the Executive Director
● Strategic and organizational planning
● Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
● Approving the budget and financial reports
● Fundraising and resource development
● Approving and monitoring the organization’s programs and services
● Enhancing the organization’s public image
● Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
● Developing policy recommendations in HR, financial procedures, fundraising and other areas
● Reviewing and monitoring risk management every 3 years
● Fostering relationships for partnerships and resources for CityStudio within the wider community
FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This is a volunteer position
Remote and CityStudio Vancouver - 1800 Spyglass Place, Vancouver, BC
ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION:
Please note that a Q&A session will be held via video conference on November 10th at 5:00pm. This session will be hosted by the Chair and the Executive Director, and will be an opportunity to learn more about the Society and this Director’s role. Following a short presentation, participants will be invited to ask questions about the Society and the role. Interested applicants are asked to please RSVP to [email protected] for the session Zoom link. Application details will be provided at this session.
Started in Vancouver, CityStudio is an innovation hub that brings together city staff, students, faculty and community to design experimental projects that make cities more sustainable, liveable, inclusive and joyful.
We are a social franchise that licenses cities with a subscription product that includes access to our trademark, training and network membership through a shared platform. The membership platform includes training and webinars, shared materials, templates, a project archive, messaging and scheduling, as well as both public facing and member’s access.
Including Vancouver, there are fifteen cities that have adopted the CityStudio model of city-campus collaboration, including Abbotsford, BC; Victoria, BC; North Vancouver, BC; Brantford, ON; Waterloo, ON; London, ON; Durham, ON; Sault Ste Marie, ON; Montreal, QC; Corner Brook, NL; Logan, Australia; Bendigo, Australia; and Oslo, Norway.